From 1892-1929 the House and remaining gardens were leased to the Tuke family and run as a private lunatic asylum.
Cricket pitch and pavilion
The cricket pitch was formed in the 1890s by the doctors Tuke, who ran a mental asylum at Chiswick House. The Tukes were keen cricketers themselves and encouraged their patients to play against outside teams. From 1946 until 1992 the Turnham Green Cricket Club played on the pitch at weekends. Celebrity cricket matches were a regular feature in the 40s and 50s in which famous cricketers like Denis Compton and Bill Edrich took part. The cricket pavilion was built around 1956 and remains a popular venue for cricketers.
1929 – Sold by the 9th Duke of Devonshire to Middlesex County Council, opens as a public park.
1948 – Chiswick House passed to the Ministry of Works and a much needed restoration campaign was started.
1984 – Chiswick House Friends formed by local residents.
1986 – English Heritage takes over the care of Chiswick House.